Dear GBTA Members,
As you know, the Coronavirus is spreading rapidly throughout China and is now affecting global travel. We wanted to update you with the most current information.
Here’s what we know so far:
- Three cities in China are under quarantine: Wuhan, Huanggang, and Ezhou.
- Hong Kong has limited travel from mainland China, suspending high-speed rail service and cutting flights by half.
- Many airlines are canceling flights and issuing refunds.
- The CDC increased its travel warning to a Level 3 Monday — its highest alert level — urging U.S. citizens to avoid all nonessential travel to China because of the outbreak.
- Both the CDC and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are implementing enhanced health screenings to detect travelers with a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing when they enter the United States.
- Details of the expanded surveillance are still being formulated. The CDC already has quarantine facilities in place at 20 ports of entry, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Anchorage, Honolulu, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, and Houston.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is providing information on the virus as well as a traveler section that provides up-to-date information. On the CDC’s site there is a section for travelers that has important information that is being updated hourly, so please use it as a reference.
International SOS will be hosting webinars on this in the coming days where all GBTA members will be able to sign up. https://www3.gbta.org/e/5572/nt-magazines-novel-coronavirus/6dppqn/2721626525?h=nLxDl0VdPdT6NaKcxpJu1m1nx_-8apSPkxgysjKvLnw. The webinars began today but you can listen to a recording. They will be hosting every 2 days. Also, there is a pocket guide that is available for download that also provides resources you may want to share with your travelers.
GBTA will also be hosting webinars on this so stay tuned for more information.
We will continue to update you as we receive new information.
Chief Operating Officer & Executive Director, GBTA